Monday, November 5, 2007

Hands on....

Working among students is always energizing and rejuvenating. My working involves two students groups in Stavanger University; the International students Fellowship (Christian Union) and the Norwegian students Movement (LAGET). Both groups are part of the Norwegian International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES) movement called NKSS.

Above. A joint fellowship between LAGET and the CU

Our focus is to make Jesus known, believed and followed in the University. We do this through, fellowships, bible discussions, camps/retreats and leadership development activities.

Students in a Bible study in a recent camp.

Informal gatherings such as social evenings, meals and outings are good opportunities of making contact with the students and other people too. I have visited several families and met several people in cafes here in Stavnger, it is a very common practice. Back home we call it 'Fellowship and swallowship'.

Finn Ivar Vold trying is hands on Ugali (Kenyan meal) and Chicken together with Elias (Visiting Kenyan, left) and Joe my team mate (right) in our house.

I am a part of a weekly bible study group in the city of Stavanger, the G12 group. It is a group in IMI church made up internationals leaving in Stavnger city. Here I try many things including baby sitting.


With young David in the bible study group.

Use of every small ability is highly appreciated here ,to develop it and to serve.

Playing drums in the bible study group

I also attend the international church in Sandness. See; http://www.kif.sandness.googlepages.com/. Both the bible study and the churches are places of growth, meeting other people and off course areas to serve.


Pastor of the International Church in Sandness Fransis Kamau and his wife Janne.

The Global Leadership Summit organised by the Willow Creek Association was a good growth point. Together with the staff of NKSS office at Stavanger and two student leaders I participated for the two days the summit run. The topics discussed were: Vision to die for and inspiration by Bill Hybels, Tough Choices by Carly Fiona, Building humanity by Jimmy Carter, Lead where you are by Colin Powel, Go put your strengths at work by Marcus Buckingham, A leader's greatest fear by John Ortberg and living for greater good by Richard Curits.

Above. Discussing a point with Ã…usmud the LAGET Chair duirng the Global leadership summit.

I have had some reflections and questions on some few issues I thought after the summit, such as:
  • How to use my spiritual gifts (Administration, faith and Leadership) in what God wants me to do with my life while here on earth as a leader.
  • How do I stay in the course of God’s call even when there is no motivation and inspiration to stay?
  • What inspires me and what motivates me most in my life and leadership?
  • How do I want to lead in my context and cause Godly impact?
  • What are the Shadow missions that can distract me from God’s mission for my life and how do I counter them?
  • Discover deeper my strengths take more time and build on them and get a way round my weaknesses.
  • Getting my cutting edge and playing my part in the lives of the less privileged, the poor, the HIV infected and issues of justice in the society.

I am still thinking through, praying and finding answers, for some I may not find answers soon! The summit will remain a great highlight of my time in Norway, am glad I was there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hie,

Great,thanks for keeping us updated.
We chose to walk with you.