Friday, December 21, 2007

Ice Skating

On the 'vintersolverv' (this is 22nd of Dec when the sun starts coming back from the south and it starts getting lighter gradually on the north) at 11am our friend Tom picked us to go and try skating. This was my first time to try that and as everything new, I was afraid. But I decided that the worst that could happen to me would only be falling on the ice which won’t be a big deal as such. By the end of it I had made about 9 rounds on the field with several falls on the ice. Tom would lift me up every time I fell. Amazing there was some kids who new how to do the thing quite well. I made some friends. One of the young girls may be about 7yrs came over and held one of my hands as the other was on the wall and she became my couch for a round. Sooner after she had left some two more kids may be about 9 and 10 years old called Martha from USA and Caroline from Denmark came over and gave me a good lesson on skating, how to keep my skates straight and balancing my hands. Well it was good fun and I was so excited to try it out.

Above how it was at the begining and below finally at the end!
What I want to share with you is some reflections I had as I went round the field several times and falling severally. It is obvious that I was afraid and I had some fears about the whole thing. And Tom asked me at the start, ‘are you afraid Sammy?’ I said back to him ‘let see when I try it out’. The first time on the ice was very scarily and I almost felt that I can’t make it, but I thought ‘mmh am just afraid because I have never tried this before’ and beyond that the host of kids watching around made me think that I just can’t flick out! And so I did it close to the wall for support. By the end of the first round I was not afraid any more!! In the next several rounds that I did I became stronger and better in trying every time I did it. This was a big lesson for me on over coming fear by trying the things am afraid of. Well am still very much afraid of swimming and this comes with adjacent complications too especially the public shower thing. Am still considering whether am going to try it out on the 27th when we go swimming with Finn Ivar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U have a good point! Things really r scary the first time u try, but it's easier the next time. I've experienced this!